A Havana court sentenced 15 protesters July 11, 2021 (11J), the largest protest against the Cuban regime in decades.
According to the ruling, dated January 23 and the news agency had access to it EFEThe People’s Provincial Court of Havana sentenced them “treason”But often handing down sentences less than what the prosecutor’s office requested.
The sentence – which is not final and may therefore still be appealed – is similar to a trial held last November, which caused huge media attention on the island.
was among the courts Jonathan Torres, a youth who was 17 years old at the time of the facts (the only minor in this process). The minimum criminal age in Cuba is 16. He is one of 55 people between the ages of 16 and 17 who have faced criminal proceedings for the events of 9/11, as confirmed by the Cuban Attorney General’s Office.
In Torres’s case, the court sentenced him to four years of “freedom” (when the prosecutor had asked for five). This means He will not enter prison, but his movements will be restricted by a judge.
Similarly, three were admitted to reformatory without internment and three more with internment.
speaks EFEOrlando Ramirez, the husband of Torres’ mother, described the process as a “show” and said that while he considered the verdict a “victory,” it was “actually (the case against his stepson) a mistake because he didn’t do anything.” .
In total, the protesters were sentenced to 75 years in prison.
The Court considered as proven facts that the criminals had assembled in the municipality of Havana Orange Stream “With the intention of creating destabilization of the established social and political order in the Republic of Cuba.”
They were accused of throwing stones and chanting slogans against the country’s president, Miguel Díaz-Canel.
However, according to the letter, At least three of the accused were absent during the events.
Two of the defendants’ mothers were called to testify, but declined.
An investigation was also held Witnesses – mostly police – presented by the prosecutor’s office. They were censured by the defense for hesitations and changes in their testimony that they could have known at the time. EFE through a source within the room.
Likewise, the charge of “assault, public disorder, insult and incitement to commit crime” was changed to “sedition” during the trial.
The change caused irritation among at least two prosecutors – according to the same source – because this type of crime represents an “intent to disrupt public order”, according to the Criminal Code.
As they argued, it did not last as 15 people attended The demonstration was held not far from the headquarters of the Cuban government’s powers.
On one day of the hearing, two lawyers criticized the proceedings against 11 J protesters, he learned at the time. EFE. One of them said: “It is time for the country to start healing its wounds, it is time for the country to sit down and talk, It’s time for the country to create public spaces where everyone who doesn’t think alike can protest safely and legally without being charged.
Cuban Justice Minister Oscar Silveira held a meeting last week with ambassadors from the European Union (EU). EFE.
About 700 judgments have been delivered till date., according to records kept by companies such as Justicia 11J and Cubalex. In these cases, some of the convictions are up to 30 years in prison for sedition.
(with information from EFE)